A fairly recent university paper titled "UNDERSTANDING 
DECISIONS
 TO
 BURGLARIZE 
FROM 
THE 
OFFENDER’S
 PERSPECTIVE
" surveyed many convicted burglers to better understand their motives and methods. One interesting finding in the report is the deterrent effect of various security measures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burglary_figure_4_effective.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	5

The results aren't really what I expected. Alarms are apparently quite effective as a deterrent measure. In the report, the researchers specifically identified people who take time to plan and select a target for burglary as the ones who are most likely to avoid homes with alarms. They also find that only a very small number of burglars attempted to disable the alarm prior to or after entry.

I hope this information is useful. Have a great weekend.

That may change as more and more jurisdictions around the country stop responding to unverified home alarms.

Once the criminal element realizes that that there is high chance that police will not be coming, the alarm system/signage won't provide much of a deterent. Just silence alarms/destroy panel and clean the house out.

Homes without surveilence capabilities (basic alarm systems), will get hit hard.

Cameras though will help verify an alarm event, or after the fact, provide the police with a description and means to prosecute.

Quote Originally Posted by rive View Post
    That may change as more and more jurisdictions around the country stop responding to unverified home alarms.

Once the criminal element realizes that that there is high chance that police will not be coming, the alarm system/signage won't provide much of a deterent. Just silence alarms/destroy panel and clean the house out.

Homes without surveilence capabilities (basic alarm systems), will get hit hard.

Cameras though will help verify an alarm event, or after the fact, provide the police with a description and means to prosecute.
    Do you have signs showing your home is under surveillance? I thought of picking up some of these signs as a deterrent measure. But I haven't found any I like. Most are pretty unattractive.

Also, as a note, I did finally activate my alarm because so many other homes had signage in their yards. I figured I better get it activated before I get hit. I guess I could have just thrown some signs up...but I do feel a little better having the alarm (and having video, lighting, etc, tied into the alarm).

I do, see PM

A rule of thumb:
    Don't use generic, or Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes security or surveilence signs, don't put signs/stickers out of defunct alarm companies...(like Brinks).

Most burglars are savvy enough to know if you had a real system, or a monitored system, that you would also have real company signs, and not generic ones, or ones of companies that no longer exist.

Thread Information