Thread: Alarm.com Rules: Can locks trigger lights?

Alarm.com Rules: Can locks trigger lights?

Hi All,

I'm slowly getting everything setup, though it sounds like from reading the forums this will always be a fun ongoing project.

Anyway, I'm trying to setup a Rule on Alarm.com where if the door is unlocked using a code a light in the entry way will turn on. Is this possible? I can't seem to use "Locks" as a "Sensor" in the Rules screen. Am I missing something or is there a workaround?

I have a zwave door lock and light switch working independently, just can't seem to make the rule. I've used "door open" to turn on the light, but that seems a bit awkward since you don't really want to light to turn on when you're leaving.... or do I really need an occupancy sensor or motion detector to make this work?

Thanks!
    TiNB

I dont think you can use a zwave device to trigger zwave rules.

I have my doors set so when they open it turns on all the zwave lights between 9pm and 6:30am , and when panel alarms it turns on all lights.

You can also set a rule to turn on lights when you disarm, but this works best if you have a ts1 at entrance (if you have to walk through a dark house to get to main panel, or flip on the entrance lights so you can see your way to main panel, it sorta defeats the purpose. You should also NEVER install the main panel at front entrance).

Another option may be to use GEO Fence...

Hi Rive,

Thanks for the confirmation. I guess lights on when doors open it is unless Alarm.com gives us more control.... kind of awkward, but its good enough. Appreciate the tip for Lights on when Alarm! Even with the "limited" programming from Alarm.com + 2Gig the possibilities are still endless.

-TiNB

Actually I was incorrect.

Locks can trigger zwave empower automation (lights for example).

Thread Information