Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: CP1 Firmware update without OEM cable

  1. #1

    CP1 Firmware update without OEM cable

    FYI,

    You can update your firmware using an FTDI breakout instead of the expensive cable. These are inexpensive USB->serial converters commonly used for programming embedded devices, and I suspect the same chipset is what is in the OEM cable. I'm a tinkerer/electronics hobbiest and I have half a dozen laying around. I was able to update my firmware using the this module and some generic female/female jumper wires (dupont cables). The pinout on the CP1 is GND (indicated by a triangle on the board) RX TX VCC (3.3v). You just need to connect GND to GND on the breakout, RX on the panel to TX on the breakout, TX on the panel to RX on the breakout. VCC doesn't need to be connected.

    Obviously this method isn't for everyone, but if you're somewhat technically inclined, it can save you money on a cable. If you're already into electronics as a hobby, then you likely have the parts laying around already like I did. Was able to update my Vivint panel to 1.14 then roll back to 1.13 to clear lockout and gain installer access.

  2. #2
    For some reason mine doesn`t have the triangle on the board.
    I am talking about the TS1.
    Last edited by rband; 02-22-2017 at 12:00 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Negativeten View Post
    FYI,

    You can update your firmware using an FTDI breakout instead of the expensive cable. These are inexpensive USB->serial converters commonly used for programming embedded devices, and I suspect the same chipset is what is in the OEM cable. I'm a tinkerer/electronics hobbiest and I have half a dozen laying around. I was able to update my firmware using the this module and some generic female/female jumper wires (dupont cables). The pinout on the CP1 is GND (indicated by a triangle on the board) RX TX VCC (3.3v). You just need to connect GND to GND on the breakout, RX on the panel to TX on the breakout, TX on the panel to RX on the breakout. VCC doesn't need to be connected.

    Obviously this method isn't for everyone, but if you're somewhat technically inclined, it can save you money on a cable. If you're already into electronics as a hobby, then you likely have the parts laying around already like I did. Was able to update my Vivint panel to 1.14 then roll back to 1.13 to clear lockout and gain installer access.
    I've used a prolific 303 FTDI adapter and I was able to use it to flash my pogoplug devices... I've tried it on my 2gig control panel and am unable to get to flash...

    There is a number 1 beside one of the Pin so I assumed it's the GND and reversed the RX/TX and when I tried running the firmware update it didn't flash... maybe you can post a pic or something?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Negativeten View Post
    You can update your firmware using an FTDI breakout instead of the expensive cable. These are inexpensive USB->serial converters commonly used for programming embedded devices, and I suspect the same chipset is what is in the OEM cable. I'm a tinkerer/electronics hobbiest and I have half a dozen laying around. I was able to update my firmware using the this module and some generic female/female jumper wires (dupont cables). The pinout on the CP1 is GND (indicated by a triangle on the board) RX TX VCC (3.3v). You just need to connect GND to GND on the breakout, RX on the panel to TX on the breakout, TX on the panel to RX on the breakout. VCC doesn't need to be connected.
    I don't have one laying around but I am guessing I could use one of these $6.99 ready made cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QT7LQ88/

    I am assuming the firmware updater just sees a com port and thus it doesn't matter what chipset is behind it.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by clwood View Post
    I am guessing I could use one of these $6.99 ready made cables: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QT7LQ88/
    BTW, I tried this and I am not recommending it. Good news: it eventually seemed to be working. Bad news: the connectors don't fit the J4 connection on the panel very well and couldn't make a solid connection, so I used a male-male header (which I was going to use for the TS1) to touch the header pins to the J4 pins. Well it was in the middle of the flash screen when I slipped my hand and lost the connection. Now I think a better solution is just remove the plastic jumpers and put the metal crimps right onto the pins (they hold very securely) but I can't get the panel to boot now (just black screen and no indicator light) nor be recognized by the firmware uploader. If anyone else wants to risk bricking their device the drivers you need are from here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Negativeten View Post
    You just need to connect GND to GND on the breakout, RX on the panel to TX on the breakout, TX on the panel to RX on the breakout. VCC doesn't need to be connected.
    And actually I think VCC does need to be connected, that was the only way I could get the panel to be recognized (it turns on when you do this and the usb is plugged into your computer so maybe don't plug the usb into computer until you are ready to start the firmware updater).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by clwood View Post
    BTW, I tried this and I am not recommending it. Good news: it eventually seemed to be working. Bad news: the connectors don't fit the J4 connection on the panel very well and couldn't make a solid connection, so I used a male-male header (which I was going to use for the TS1) to touch the header pins to the J4 pins. Well it was in the middle of the flash screen when I slipped my hand and lost the connection. Now I think a better solution is just remove the plastic jumpers and put the metal crimps right onto the pins (they hold very securely) but I can't get the panel to boot now (just black screen and no indicator light) nor be recognized by the firmware uploader. If anyone else wants to risk bricking their device the drivers you need are from here.




    And actually I think VCC does need to be connected, that was the only way I could get the panel to be recognized (it turns on when you do this and the usb is plugged into your computer so maybe don't plug the usb into computer until you are ready to start the firmware updater).

    Any chance you can tell us what the order of the pinout? like with the panel right side up and viewed from the back, is it GND, RX, TX, GCC?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •