Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage door sensor (using a DW10)

Garage door sensor (using a DW10)

Options are a tilt sensor, a liftmaster garage door opener, or in my case, using a magnetic reed switch connected to loop1 of a dw10

On the average, a tilt sensor runs about $30, and you can get it at suretydiy

A waterproof garage door magnetic reed switch runs around $15 on eBay and is now available at suretydiy and a 2GIG-DW10 also runs around $15. I prefer these as a 45 tilt angle isnt required to activate sensor, and its more durable as well as waterproof. The sensor will activate if the overhead garage door is moved mere inches. Sometimes a tilt sensor can result in false activations.

These are ideal for harsh environments.

Equip needed:
    DW10 thin door/window contact:

Garage Door Magnetic Reed Switch:
    HOWTO: Sensor monitor your garage door using a magnetic reed switch, and a 2GIG-DW10 door/window sensor:

You will need a drill, and electrical tape

First, program the dw10 at panel
    Hit logo at bottom right of screen
    Enter installer code
    System configuration
    Right arrow to blank sensor location
    Down arrow
    **(02) exit/entry 2
    Down arrow
    (0862) dw10
    Down arrow
    Learn serial (or hit shift then learn)
    Pull magnet away from switch to get serial programmed
    Down arrow
    (0) new equip
    Down arrow
    *Loop (1) 1
    Down arrow
    (0) disable dialer delay
    Down arrow
    Voice descriptor ("insert", enter code...example 'Garage Door' code is "101" and "058" for all codes see: Descriptor codes)
    Down arrow
    (1) report enabled
    Down arrow
    (1) supervised enabled
    Down arrow
    (01) voice only
    Skip
    End
    Exit
    * Note- because this is using the external reed switch it is set to loop 1, and you won't be using the magnet, if you were instead just using the dw10 and magnet say for a window/sliding glass door you would set the loop to 2

** Q7 exit/entry 2 is 45 seconds, this can be change to whatever you need it to be. To optimize Q settings see: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/5-2...panel-settings

It is best to download the programming guide that has the descriptor codes, and making a note of the codes for your sensor name/descriptor in advance)
    See: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/5-2...panel-settings

You want to attach the reed switch above garage door as shown below using drill/screws, and the 2sided sticky tape on the dw10 that comes with it. You will not be using the magnet as stated above that comes with the dw10, so save it somewhere (these are handy, for example you can use the magnet on a window to secure it on two positions such as a partially open position, as well as fully closed).

Hi Rive,

This is pretty neat and I'm planning to do something similar. I've already got a relay / outlet combo working to open and close the door, now I just need a way to see its open / closed status and trying to decide between a DW10 and a tilt sensor.

I'm curious though, since you already have a DW10 as part of the system, why not just use it with its magnet? Why is the reed switch needed?

Thanks!
    TiNB

Quote Originally Posted by ThereIsNoBall View Post
    Hi Rive,

I'm curious though, since you already have a DW10 as part of the system, why not just use it with its magnet? Why is the reed switch needed?

Thanks!
    TiNB
    The reed switch is made for the application, is water and weather proof, and durable. No false activations when the wind blows hard. Its also attached with screws (and not two sided sticky tape)

Though I suppose you could do it with just a dw10...I wouldn't.

The dw10 is off to the side, where it will stay dry, and not exposed.

The reed switch is the sensor, the dw10 is just the means for the panel to supervise it (basically, In a nutshell, its's a wired sensor, converted to a wireless one)

Hi Rive,

So how does the read switch connect with the dw10?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brian61 View Post
    Hi Rive,

So how does the read switch connect with the dw10?

thanks
    You wire it in using the leads from the DW10, and electrical tape it as shown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150220_163307.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	126

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150220_163651.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	127

Here is a good source to get any Alarm Contact you may need:

http://alarmcontacts.com
    Michael Ferer
    "The Source For Do It Yourself 2Gig Alarm Parts & Alarm.com Plans"
    http://buy2gig.com
    1-877-661-8941

rive:

want to thank you for this write-up.

just had the 2gig panel installed via Protection 1, and I preinstalled this on my garage door prior to the installation appointment yesterday..

The tech told me that he could not program a DW-10 in this manner, I showed him your setup steps and it worked, tech didn't know this could be done (I believe he was trying to program it in Loop 0).

Protection1 said they would not cover the DW10 under their protection warranty (because it was my DW10 I bought online) which I understand and am not concerned about it.

--

so again thank you for the thread, it helped me get a proper sensor installed on my garage door.

Welcome.

Seems like the protection 1 tech wasn't very knowledgable. Going with protection1 is just about as bad as going with Vivint IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by rive View Post
    Welcome.

Seems like the protection 1 tech wasn't very knowledgable. Going with protection1 is just about as bad as going with Vivint IMO...

I don't disagree, frankly any of these companies, ADT, Protection1, Vivint, Brinks, whatever.. overall their business practices are about the same, their "techs" are just guys off the street they gave a two week training course too and most of them never attempt to get trained past that point. They are no different IMO than any cable, satellite, internet ISP, or any other home utility/service provider, they all have the same $hit business practices and deceptive marketing techniques.

up until a couple of years ago the overall security technology didn't allow people to DIY, today it's a lot easier. stepping through these companies to get the equipment is the only real reason to use them unless you have $2,000 you can spare to buy the stuff up front.

It is the only reason I opted for Protection 1 (see the other thread I posted in about that), they provide the equipment, basically takes me 36 months to pay it off, and then it is mine and I will switch it over.. Why fork over the $2,000 up front when I can pay it off interest free over 36 months..

Is it bolted to the floor?

Thread Information