Thread: Replacing X10 light switches with Z-wave

Replacing X10 light switches with Z-wave

I have a number of X10 switches that are controlling outdoor lights to turn them on and off a set times. The problem with these X10 switches (one of many) is they stop working effectively after a year or so (my experience).

I'd like to replace them with Z-Wave switches so I can program the on/off times on my computer. Would the WD500Z-1 or WS15Z-1 work for this purpose? These are not 3-way switches, just a single switch controls the lights outside. The lights are mostly old school light bulbs but some are LED. I simply want to program an on and an off time.

I do this now with a few lamps in my house using the z-wave switches and they work brilliantly.

Any opinions or first hand experience doing something like this?

I have an old Vivint panel I've taken over, if that helps or matters. My Vivint panel has the two buttons on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by uwhusky View Post
    I have a number of X10 switches that are controlling outdoor lights to turn them on and off a set times. The problem with these X10 switches (one of many) is they stop working effectively after a year or so (my experience).

I'd like to replace them with Z-Wave switches so I can program the on/off times on my computer. Would the WD500Z-1 or WS15Z-1 work for this purpose? These are not 3-way switches, just a single switch controls the lights outside. The lights are mostly old school light bulbs but some are LED. I simply want to program an on and an off time.

I do this now with a few lamps in my house using the z-wave switches and they work brilliantly.

Any opinions or first hand experience doing something like this?

I have an old Vivint panel I've taken over, if that helps or matters. My Vivint panel has the two buttons on the bottom.
    Both will work fine the WD500Z is the Dimmer Version, after learning into the panel, they will show up in your alarm.com account provided you have the correct package and you set time on and off or sunrise to sunset rule etc...

Excellent news! I'll be buying the non-dimming version.

Is there a limit as to how many of these or total z-wave devices I can hook up to the system? I need 4 of these light switches and I currently have two lamp/plug-in modules.

Excellent news! I'll be buying the non-dimming version.

Is there a limit as to how many of these or total z-wave devices I can hook up to the system? I need 4 of these light switches and I currently have two lamp/plug-in modules.
    the 2gig gc2 panel supports 232 zwave devices

Is that what this is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ViventBox.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	500

Is that what this is?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ViventBox.jpg 
Views:	23