Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying new home with Vivint Sky......

Buying new home with Vivint Sky......

I'm sure this is asked a lot. I have searched and read many posts but I am still unclear. Apparently I can't override the Sky and get someone else to monitor it. From what I have read my best bet is to replace the Sky with a 2GIG GC3. So I don't need to pay for their ridiculous monitoring charges. $68.99 a month for 42 months.

Is there a guide out there on getting rid of the Sky and replacing it with the 2GIG GC3? I have only found bits and pieces in my searches. Is there a comprehensive post on how to do this? The Vivint system in the house has every feature they offer. Cameras, door locks, voice notifications when someone goes up the stairs, etc. Garage door opener that disarms the system, unlocks, and opens the back door for their dog to go outside. When we move in I was told only the thermostat would work unless we signed up for a 42 month contract. It is a Vivint thermostat.

Hence why I want to replace the Sky with the 2GIG GC3. So is that what I should do? Buy the 2GIG GC3, Cell module, and wifi module?

My main question is how to do it. If I buy a 2GIG GC3 from Amazon will I be able to just wire it in the same way and find a programming guide online?

The only thing I can figure is to pull the cell card the day we move in so they can't brick it.

As you can see I am lost. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron

I should probably do an inventory of all of the sensors in the Sky interface before doing anything. They have everything. Carbon Monoxide, motion, windows, doors, cameras in every room, garage door, etc. When I was there with the house inspector last week the doors automatically locked and the alarm armed. I guess they have some timer setup.

DON'T purchase GC3!!!!

With optional cell module you need purchase a plan with Alarm.com
    There is integrated WIFI module inside GC3 but it isn't activated and need firmware update to enable it (7 months waiting and absolutely no news) Waiting to for usb cam and remote touch panel and new news too...
    Don't touch 2Gig product since Nortek acquire 2Gig development pushed in the ditch...

Quote Originally Posted by alaska99 View Post
    DON'T purchase GC3!!!!

With optional cell module you need purchase a plan with Alarm.com
    There is integrated WIFI module inside GC3 but it isn't activated and need firmware update to enable it (7 months waiting and absolutely no news) Waiting to for usb cam and remote touch panel and new news too...
    Don't touch 2Gig product since Nortek acquire 2Gig development pushed in the ditch...

Any advice on what I should do with the Vivint Sky so I don't have to sign up with Vivint? There is no way I am signing up for a 36 month contract.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
    Any advice on what I should do with the Vivint Sky so I don't have to sign up with Vivint? There is no way I am signing up for a 36 month contract.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Anyone? chirp chirp

Plenty of info on this forum about this topic already check out the following posts:

Forum: 2GIG Go2.0 (Vivint Sky Panel)
    http://www.2gigforum.com/forums/33-2...int-Sky-Panel)

http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/216...em-from-Vivint

You can buy a GC2 or a GC3 and learn in all your devices as well, and sign up for DIY alarm.com monitoring, find out at www.buy2gig.com
    Last edited by locknalarm; 10-17-2016 at 10:34 PM.
    Michael Ferer
    "The Source For Do It Yourself 2Gig Alarm Parts & Alarm.com Plans"
    http://buy2gig.com
    1-877-661-8941

freakaccident.... I had this exact same scenario as you, and ended up purchasing a GC3 with a diy plan from alarm.com. I bought a new home that had the sky panel with all the sensors, cameras, thermostat, etc installed- I also was no way gonna sign up for a 60 month contract at 48.99 so I ended up purchasing the GC3 Panel and signed up with a gold interactive DIY plan through alarm.com. The GC3 is really nice, however yes many including myself have been awaiting many features that are not available yet until nortek releases a firmware update (been waiting for 5+ months now). However, in my case the GC3 is still great, and does exactly what I was wanting. I was easily able to go into the installer toolbox on the GC3 and re-learn all my door/window/motion sensors, and add all my zwave door locks, thermostat, light switches, etc... Unfortunately, my cameras I could add to my alarm.com account- but could not add them, and view them on the GC3 itself like they were on the sky panel (maybe w the new firmware update). But overall it works great, and I only pay 17.99 month-to-month instead of an expensive long term Vivint contract. The 17.99 DIY plan was from buy2gig, and it is so my panel is activated w alarm.com, and I can use the alarm.com app on my smartphone to control all devices.

Quote Originally Posted by ryangunther View Post
    freakaccident.... I had this exact same scenario as you, and ended up purchasing a GC3 with a diy plan from alarm.com. I bought a new home that had the sky panel with all the sensors, cameras, thermostat, etc installed- I also was no way gonna sign up for a 60 month contract at 48.99 so I ended up purchasing the GC3 Panel and signed up with a gold interactive DIY plan through alarm.com. The GC3 is really nice, however yes many including myself have been awaiting many features that are not available yet until nortek releases a firmware update (been waiting for 5+ months now). However, in my case the GC3 is still great, and does exactly what I was wanting. I was easily able to go into the installer toolbox on the GC3 and re-learn all my door/window/motion sensors, and add all my zwave door locks, thermostat, light switches, etc... Unfortunately, my cameras I could add to my alarm.com account- but could not add them, and view them on the GC3 itself like they were on the sky panel (maybe w the new firmware update). But overall it works great, and I only pay 17.99 month-to-month instead of an expensive long term Vivint contract. The 17.99 DIY plan was from buy2gig, and it is so my panel is activated w alarm.com, and I can use the alarm.com app on my smartphone to control all devices.
    We received a notice from the realtor that we had to pay a $90 activation fee and $68.99 a month for 48 months or Vivent would come remove the system. I have a call out to the realtor to find out the details. The thermostat is Vivint. I am not buying a house without a thermostat. I assume they will just take the Sky panel and leave all of the sensors and thermostat in the house. I can't imagine it would be profitable to have someone disassemble a house for sensors and whatnot.

If they only take the Sky panel I just need to buy a GC3 and plug it in, correct? The plug or wiring behind the panel should be compatible?

Thanks,
    Aaron

So do I contact alarm.com to buy the GC3 panel or do I buy it from buy2gig.com and then have alarm.com monitor it? Alarm.com just wants me to contact a local installer. They don't appear to sell any hardware.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by freakaccident View Post
    So do I contact alarm.com to buy the GC3 panel or do I buy it from buy2gig.com and then have alarm.com monitor it? Alarm.com just wants me to contact a local installer. They don't appear to sell any hardware.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    We can sell you the panel, and yes you can reuse the wiring just swap out the transformer that's included with the new system, after that it very simple to learn back in the rest of the devices give us a call Monday and we can answer any other questions you may have 1-877-661-8941
    Michael Ferer
    "The Source For Do It Yourself 2Gig Alarm Parts & Alarm.com Plans"
    http://buy2gig.com
    1-877-661-8941

Thread Information