Thread: Cell Tamper Alarm

Cell Tamper Alarm

A couple nights ago, my GC3 system was armed (stay) and the "cell tamper" triggered the alarm.

I currently do not have a cell module installed and the cell tamper push button is secured with the machine screw.
    Both "Q31: Radio network failure causes trouble" and "Q32:Radio network failure reports" are disabled, but "Q30: Radio modem network failure time" was still at the default 30 minutes.

After clearing the alarm and checking all the doors/windows. I attempted to re-arm the system and pressed near to top-left of the display and again the "Cell Tamper" triggered the alarm.

Curious if anyone has experienced this issue, or knows of a fix". I plan to check the momentary push button that is used to detect "cell tampers", could be a loose solder joint or bad button.

Did you try resetting the keypad after the alarm event. Though this process may vary from machine to machine, it would help clear the history. refer the security system manual for instructions

After further investigation, I found the culprit to be the tamper alarm switch.

Mechanically this is a terrible design and will be prone to false alarms as the plastic, momentary switch, and the mechanical trigger wears out due to the constant change in temperature and humidity within a house.

Now, I do not recommend my solution to anyone, and if you follow these steps, you are doing so at your personal risk.

While the tamper alarm is a nice to have, I believe security has failed if it's up to the tamper alarm to catch an intruder. At this point you should be asking yourself, what could we have done better to detect and prevent this level of intrusion.

The tamper alarm circuit works by detecting an open circuit, so when the momentary switch is engaged the circuit is closed, and no alarm state will be triggered. But when the circuit is open, the alarm state will be triggered.

To permanently close the circuit and prevent any false tamper alarms, start by desoldering the wires from the PCB that connect to the momentary switch. After removing the wires, solder the two solder pads together to close the circuit.

(If you need help getting access to the PCB or soldering advice, you should not be doing this and should instead seek the help of someone who can do this)

Thread Information