Thread: Outdoor ADC-V720W Bullet night vision camera

Outdoor ADC-V720W Bullet night vision camera

For those looking for an outdoor infrared IP camera for their 2GIG system, consider the alarm.com V720W.

Cost for these are around $300, and you can get it new from sites like suretydiy, and eBay.

The specs are pretty impressive.

720p HD resolution
    Can see distance over 39' in the dark while still delivering true daytime colors
    Live streaming, and Video Motion Detection (VMD)

gzartman
    These really are a great cameras, Rive. I bought one for my house because I was getting some vandalism in my front yard. It is a spendy camera, but the build quality is excellent. This isn't some plastic cheapo camera. The only slightly negative comment I would have is that the mounting bracket is a little limited in terms of angle. It's a kind of articulating arm, with a threaded stud that screws into the top or bottom of the cam right in the middle of the long side of the case. My camera is slightly tilted off of horizontal and there is no way to fix this. However, it isn't that bad. Following is a snapshot of the camera feed at night. As you can see, the image is excellent.

Last edited by gzartman; 03-19-2014 at 02:50 AM.

Banned
    Alarm.com is going to showcase their new SVR (streaming video recorder - fancy name for DVR) at ISC West in a few weeks. That will really change the game for this camera because it will allow you to record 24/7 instead of just on events. Outdoor video motion detection is very hard to do reliably. I've been waiting for this for a long time!

I have this camera and night time is B&W for me. Mine worked for about 9 months then stopped working. ADC relaced it and the new one has NEVER connected wirelessly. I have worked for over a month with an ADC tech rep and he has determined that the camera is defective. I got it from a local source and their distributor isn't doing business with ADC since Jan 1 2014! Seems I am going to have to wire this thing in or use it as an indoor camera. WHAT an ordeal!!

Quote Originally Posted by gzartman View Post
    These really are a great cameras, Rive. I bought one for my house because I was getting some vandalism in my front yard. It is a spendy camera, but the build quality is excellent. This isn't some plastic cheapo camera. The only slightly negative comment I would have is that the mounting bracket is a little limited in terms of angle. It's a kind of articulating arm, with a threaded stud that screws into the top or bottom of the cam right in the middle of the long side of the case. My camera is slightly tilted off of horizontal and there is no way to fix this. However, it isn't that bad. Following is a snapshot of the camera feed at night. As you can see, the image is excellent.

Do your have pics of how it looks mounted outside and all? I'm trying to imagine how if mount one.

I'd like to put it in a place to capture anyone coming into the yard up to a window or front door or driveway since my truck stays in the driveway. Would the area circles in red be the best location for it?

I'm guessing this camera doesn't have a master reset option to get it off the alarm.com system. Mine went wacky outside of warranty after a failed power brick. No matter what settings I use, the motion detector dumps snapshots to the control center as fast as it can. It blew over 50% of my "bandwidth" allowance in under 3hrs. Basically I can only use it as a real-time viewer now which is near worthless. If I could get into it's main setting screen it would be fairly simple to move it over to something that doesn't rely on the camera itself to handle the motion detecting. If it's completely locked to alarm.com then I'll just have to toss it. I'm not paying them another $300 or whatever they are now. Tech support has been disinterested in helping me with the issue so I gave up on getting it fixed or replaced.

Thread Information