Thread: GC3 Z-wave quits working

GC3 Z-wave quits working

Hey guys... so everyday for about the past week or two now, the Z-wave on my GC3 gets hosed up and stops working. I go into my Z-wave devices, and it just shows "Z-Wave not ready". So I go into the installer toolbox for Z-wave, and try to do the Discover Network, and only get "Z-Wave Busy (Failed Node Check)" message. Seems like the only fix is to reboot the panel. So I pull the power & battery from the panel, reboot, and viola everything starts working normally again.... for a day or two and issue comes back.

Anyone have any idea's or suggestions? Thanks,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160511_210846.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160511_210835.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	368

I've had similar experiences with other ZWave controllers, including the original 2Gig. Best advice is to wait and try again later. Based off that message, the ZWave is already trying to find devices. If all the devices check-in quickly, this doesn't take long, but if they don't check-in this takes a while, and eventually times out. I normally forget about it, and end up remembering hours later and I'm able to run the Network Rediscovery.

Other note: I see that these are all locks. I'd imagine that at least one of those locks is very near the panel, so I'd think at least one would have no trouble. Do you have any other ZWave Devices that are AC Powered (Thermostat, Light Bulbs, Switches, etc.) to act as a repeater. Even if your lock is 4 feet from the panel, usually having a repeating device will speed up the response time.

Thanks bsimmons...
    Yes, I also have a Z-wave CT100 thermostat, 3 Kwikset Door locks, 2- ZDS100 small appliance/lighting control modules, & a WD1000Z Smart In-Wall Dimmer switch. However, I have none of these acting as a repeater - they are all fairly close to the panel (I would say the furthest being 30ft away).

Quote Originally Posted by ryangunther View Post
    Thanks bsimmons...
    Yes, I also have a Z-wave CT100 thermostat, 3 Kwikset Door locks, 2- ZDS100 small appliance/lighting control modules, & a WD1000Z Smart In-Wall Dimmer switch. However, I have none of these acting as a repeater - they are all fairly close to the panel (I would say the furthest being 30ft away).
    I have a customer whose gc3 has an identical problem. It was installed in Sep 2016 and has happened 4 times now. The only solution is to reboot. I have contacted 2gig support and they tell me its a known firmware issue (said same thing in September too). Wonder how much longer my customer will put up with this? Anyone have a solution or update?

Quote Originally Posted by mustangboxer View Post
    I have a customer whose gc3 has an identical problem. It was installed in Sep 2016 and has happened 4 times now. The only solution is to reboot. I have contacted 2gig support and they tell me its a known firmware issue (said same thing in September too). Wonder how much longer my customer will put up with this? Anyone have a solution or update?
    I actually moved the majority of my z-wave devices over to samsung smartthings because of this... I did however, leave my z-wave door locks, and Garage door controller on the GC3 / and the problem has not came back since, so I'm thinking it was one of my z-wave dimmer switches that was causing the issue. None the less, all my lights and switches work fine on smartthings - so there is still some known bugs with the GC3 z-wave controller, that are supposed to be fixed with the first GC3 firmware update whenever it may come. I am told and hoping the firmware update will also fix the GC3 being able to work properly as a secondary z-wave controller - and properly show the devices and control them in conjunction with smartthings...

Hi...i am a new user here. I think you should wait and try again later. Based off that message, the ZWave is already trying to find devices. If all the devices check-in quickly, this doesn't take long, but if they don't check-in this takes a while, and eventually times out.

Quote Originally Posted by VallyOrent View Post
    Hi...i am a new user here. I think you should wait and try again later. Based off that message, the ZWave is already trying to find devices. If all the devices check-in quickly, this doesn't take long, but if they don't check-in this takes a while, and eventually times out.
    Unfortunately - waiting it out did not fix the issue. I tried that based on other forum suggestions, and even after 2 full days of waiting it would still show "Z-wave not ready". The only thing that fixed it was rebooting the panel. But like I said in my last post - the problem has actually went away (at least so far) after I migrated a couple of the z-wave devices (WD1000Z Dimmer Switch & Smart plug-in dimmer module) over to smartthings. If I had to guess, im really thinking the problem went away when I removed the wd1000z dimmer switch from the gc3. I haven't had the issue since, and guess I haven't tried moving the device back to my gc3 just since it actually works better with my smartthings scenario.
    Last edited by ryangunther; 12-14-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Thread Information