Thread: Alarm.com Home Control with Amazon Echo

Alarm.com Home Control with Amazon Echo

Alarm.com now supports smart home voice control for lighting and smart thermostats through Amazon Echo. Alarm.com users will be able to control the lighting and comfort in their smart home with the hands-free convenience of voice commands. With Amazon Echo and the Amazon cloud-based voice service Alexa, a simple spoken command, such as "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on the living room lights," triggers a response in the home.

With the ability to control customized light names, Alarm.com users can easily create personalized controls for their home, naming specific lights to enable unique commands such as "Alexa, ask Alarm.com to turn on the Christmas tree lights."

Alarm.com is one of the first smart home security platforms to integrate Amazon Echo. With a broad ecosystem of connected devices, Alarm.com also plans to expand voice control and enable new interactions through Alexa's Skills Kit.

"Making the smart home easy to use is a key to helping consumers realize the full potential of the new technology. Amazon Echo with Alexa voice control offers an intuitive and useful way for Alarm.com users to make their smart home safer and more comfortable," said Jay Kenny, Senior Vice President of Marketing at Alarm.com. "Alarm.com integrates devices across the home into a single solution, which we are making easier to use every day through intuitive apps and new user experiences that go beyond the traditional app."

The Amazon Echo and Alexa integration makes voice control the latest in a wide range of options for controlling an Alarm.com smart home. Users can already interact with their homes via the web, smartphone and tablet apps (iOS, Android and Windows Phone) and apps for wearables and smart TVs.
    [B][I][SIZE=5]

SEE THE ATTACHED PDF FOR INSTRUCTIONS

Amazon_Echo_Quickstart_Guide.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	echo and adc pic.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	363
    Last edited by locknalarm; 04-28-2016 at 08:56 PM.
    Michael Ferer
    "The Source For Do It Yourself 2Gig Alarm Parts & Alarm.com Plans"
    http://buy2gig.com
    1-877-661-8941

I received my $50 Echo Dot just under a week ago and can confirm the integration works with it. I plan on buying one or two more to cover the main living areas of my house and will try to remember to update this when I start using them. I don't see a reason to buy a $180 Echo if you can get 3 Echo Dot devices and a steak dinner for the same price...

So far, the Alarm.com integration has been working well. There are limits to what Alexa can do by design for security reasons. You can't tell Alexa to open the garage or disarm the alarm for obvious reasons, but it's pretty cool being able to close the garage and arm-stay the alarm with a simple voice command. Maybe the garage can be opened or door unlocked by confirming with a press of the "action" button? That way you would have to be inside the house to activate it.

Update:

I keep forgetting to say "Tell alarm dot com to" before my command, so I end up saying most commands twice. It's definitely taking some getting used to.

Excerpt from a typical night at my house:
    "Alexa turn on the por... aw shit."

"Sorry, I don't see any devices in your account named that"

"Alexa TELL ALARM DOT COM to turn on the porch light"

"Turning on the porch light."
    Last edited by flynn; 11-01-2016 at 12:24 PM. Reason: a word

Yes it would be great when they make alarm.com a skill.....I just activated my Harmony skill, I can now say Watch TV and my TV turns On along with all my devices associated with the programming in my Harmony Remote "Watch TV:, I guess I will be buying and putting the echodots in each room
    Michael Ferer
    www.buy2gig.com
    "The Source For 2GIG and Alarm.com Plans"
    1-877-661-8941

Thread Information