Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install GE/Jasco (Lowes iris brand) zwave light switchs

How to install GE/Jasco (Lowes iris brand) zwave light switchs

Just installed zwave light switch from Lowes...

Recommended Tools: meter, wire stripper/cutter, phillips/flat screwdrivers

Installation instructions:

Single zwave switch ($34)
    Remove all wires from current switch, meter wires. You should see three black, a ground, and white (usually wire nutted)
    120v black goes to line, other two go to load, ground/bare wire to green screw, and you may need a short peice of 14 guage solid to pigtail off the neutral wire nut.

three way switch ($44)
    For three ways, remove all wires from both switches, meter all, one should be hot (120v) this is the primary switch 'line'. You should see two black, one red, ground, and white (usually wire nutted)

Mark black wire that is hot (this is the common)

For main switch at 120v wire:

120v wire goes to line, red goes to traveler, other black to load, ground/bare to ground screw, use a short 14 guage white wire to pigtail off white wire nut, this goes to neutral.

On aux switch:

Meter, with main switch on, then when off, two should be hot- one when on, one when off (both travelers- usually one black and one red), one wire will have no voltage in either switch position.

Mark wire that is not hot in either switch position (this is the secondary/aux common)

Red to traveler (color isn't really important, BUT the traveler MUST be the same wire at each switch), white pigtail to neutral, ground/bare to green wire nut. (The other two get wire nutted together, these will not be used)

pairing to panel
    Services>zwave>click the 'wrench' >enter code>add devices
    (You may need to take panel off wall, and place it near primary zwave switch)

Flip switch/light on and off until switch is added...

Once paired, set rules (e.g., 'turn on at all times if any sensor reports alarm, turn off when panel disarmed')

Rules can also be set to turn on/off at certain times of day/night

tip
    You can create rules and scenes locally to control zwave automation (set Q79 to 2):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150303_165351.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	131

Here is a video:

Very easy to install...sometimes you have to look for a wiring diagram online if your wiring is a different (especially for three way switches). At first I couldn't get the panel to see my switch. This was solved by turning it on or merely pushing on the center of the switch. Since then I've installed others without a problem.

Now if only the rules on alarm.com worked correctly. I've had more issues with that then installing the switches.

I haven't had any issue with the ADC rules for my zwave/empower switches...if you are, that may indicate your panel's cellular is having trouble communicating (everything on your panel goes through ADC, then ADC relays it to Vivint's Central Station).

Quote Originally Posted by rive View Post
    I haven't had any issue with the ADC rules for my zwave/empower switches...if you are, that may indicate your panel's cellular is having trouble communicating (everything on your panel goes through ADC, then ADC relays it to Vivint's Central Station).
    No, I checked that out as my first possibility. It's definitely the rules. One example is this. I schedule the lights to turn on a 7PM then turn off at 1AM. It didn't work. The lights turned on but not off. So I had to set up two schedules instead. One to turn on and leave on then another to turn off. That works.

The other rule I'm having trouble with is when certain people unlock the door, the camera is supposed to record. It doesn't. It will when the alarm goes off (another rule) but not for the door unlock.

You cant set zwave devices for triggering rules (edit: well evidently you can if you have zwave locks, I did not know that)

I have my camera set to record when there is a delay entry event (it moves to a different preset), and lights come on if doors open between 9pm and 5:30am, and stay on for 10 min, then they turn off automatically. Lights also come on for alarm events, and turn off when alarm is cleared.

1 rule to turn on/off lights for each event.

Topic has been split: Camera discussion regarding zwave unlock rules...new discussion thread created here: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/82-...?p=156#post156

Then why the heck does it let you do it? It used to work! Then it stopped.

Unless you are seeing something I don't, then your rules should work just like mine. If it isn't working for the lights for on/off rule, then that suggests there is a problem with cellular module communication...

Check signal strength, for example mine is 25/31, and see if you have a Verizon module. Weak signal causes communication drops, and Vivint has been known to install these Verizon modules where they shouldn't, and the module roams...and there are intermittent communication drops.

Else try rebooting panel. Disconnect battery connection, remove AC power, and reconnect battery, then AC power. This fixes issues with modules where it can recieve, but has trouble sending (sometimes caused by hotswapping).

While you are at, check your cellular module, and make sure you have the right antenna...if you have the 3G module, but the small antenna that fits into the panel, then that's a problem. The 3G modules should have the long antenna that goes into the wall behind the panel.

No, it was definitely a problem with the rules. I used the energy scheduler to "Perform these schedules actions: " First "turn on" at a certain time of day. Then "turn off" at 1AM. Only problem is it never turned off. When I changed to using two rules, that is I changed one rule to "turn on" then "leave on" and then setup a second rule to turn off at 1AM, everything worked flawlessly (and still does).

My operating theory is that it has something to do with the fact that I had it turning off on a new day. I believe this to be the case because I had similar rules running on the same type of switches (but in different rooms). The rule I setup to turn on 7PM and turn off at 11PM worked fine. When I changed to a similar setup for the problem zone, it also worked fine. It was only when I made the rule to run past 12AM.

Banned
    There's been a known problem for a while now where Alarm.com lighting schedules just stop working. It seems to occur more in the second part of the rule (the turn back off part). The work-around is exactly what you already did, separate them into 2 rules. Do you have a thermostat as well? There seems to be a higher likelihood of that problem occurring when you have a thermostat and lights on the same system. It's as if saving the thermostat settings trashed the light schedules once in a while. Another possible fix is to have your Alarm.com dealer clear and resend all your automation rules. That's worked in a lot of cases.
    Last edited by ryan.boder; 05-01-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Banned
    I checked in on this and I'm told there was a fix pushed out last week by Alarm.com for the lighting schedule problem. However, you may need to delete and re-add your lighting schedule rules for it to take affect. Have you already done that since last week?

Thread Information