Thread: Best CFL/LED Bulbs for GE (Jesco) Zwave switches

gzartman

Best CFL/LED Bulbs for GE (Jesco) Zwave switches

As I posted in a previous thread, one needs to be careful when using CFL and LED bulbs with zwave dimmers because the switches were not designed to run with the low wattage load these bulbs put on them. They were designed for incandescent bulbs. You won't hurt the switches if you get the wrong bulbs, but the bulbs may perform erratically or not at all.

I have been doing quite alot of reading on this topic on the zwave Vera forum, blogs, and product review sites. I have also tried several different types of bulbs on my GE/Jesco zwave dimmers. The GE/Jesco dimmer is an electronic dimmer, so they tend to be even more picky than a mechanical dimmer. As such, one needs to be really careful with the bulbs you use on this dimmer even though the bulb might be labeled as dimmable. Your best bet is to only buy bulbs you know you can return and only buy enough to test first before you replace every bulb in your house.

Following are some of my results on my GE(Jesco) Zwave dimmers, paired to my 2GIG GO Panel. I'll update this as I test more bulbs:

1. Satco LED BR-40 Dimmable Flood(13W): Excellent bulb performance. Dims from 100% down to about 30% before shutting off. Load on dimmer needs to be 60 watts or greater for the dimmer to work properly. No warm up required. Expensive at about $30/bulb.

2. Feit LED BR-40 Dimmable Flood (17W): OK-Good performance, but very sensitive to load on the dimmer. Dims from 100% to about 40% before shutting off. Load on dimmer needs to be 85 watts or greater otherwise dimmer won't function properly. No warm up required. Great price at Costco for $15/bulb.

3. TCP TruDim BR-40 Dimmable Flood (20W): Excellent bulb performance. Dims from 100% to 15-20% before shutting off. Load on dimmer needs to be 50watts or greater. 1-2min warm-up to full brightness. Cost is about $15/bulb. BEST BULB TESTED!

4. Utilitech LED BR-40 Dimmable Flood (13W): Poor - OK performance. Dims from 100% to 50%-60% before shutting off. Bulb hums and pulsates when dimmed. Load on dimmer needs to be 60 watts or greater. Instant on, no warm up. Cost is about $18/bulb at Lowes.

5. Utilitech CFL BR-40 Flood (15W): OK-Good bulb performance. This bulb is supposed to be equal to a 65 watt bulb, it seems dimmer than this. Dims from 100% - 30% before shutting off. 2-3min warm up. Cost is about $5/bulb.

At this point, I would recommend the TCP TruDIM BR-40 bulb for dimmable z-wave switches. All of the bulbs tested work fine on a non-dimmable zwave switch.
    Last edited by gzartman; 02-25-2014 at 03:54 AM.

The best switches to use are Aeotec (built in energy meters) and linear's (2GIG parent company) own Evolve switches.

It is critical to make sure the CFL bulbs are packaged as 'dimmable', otherwise you may have issues.
    Last edited by givemsm2; 02-27-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Thread Information