Thread: GC3 Takover System Advice

GC3 Takover System Advice

I have decided to go with self installing a 2gig system and finding reasonable monitoring. This is my first time DIY, but paying $33 for a land line and $32 for monitoring seems rather high for an outdated system.

Need help selecting components, I will be taking over wired sensors from my old DSC 1555.

2GIG GC3
    2GIG GC3GA-A - Alarm.com AT&T 3G Comm for Go!Control
    2GIG PAD1-345 - Wireless Keypad (Extra pad)
    Encore firefighter ff345 (Take over wired smoke alarms)
    2gig take 345 inside (Take over wired door/window sensors)

If I understand correctly, the GC3 has built in WiFi so I do not need any type of bridge. Is the GC3GA-A the right cell modem for the GC3 panel? Any other parts I'm missing? I plan to add cameras, locks, etc. later.

One other question, I don't really understand "programming". If I put up the panels, wire up the takeover stuff, what programming is needed? I assume for the cellular, the monitoring service will provision that.
    Last edited by xxlbeerz; 02-11-2016 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxlbeerz View Post
    I have decided to go with self installing a 2gig system and finding reasonable monitoring. This is my first time DIY, but paying $33 for a land line and $32 for monitoring seems rather high for an outdated system.

Need help selecting components, I will be taking over wired sensors from my old DSC 1555.

2GIG GC3 Currently only available with Verizon Service See it here IN STOCK!
    2GIG PAD1-345 - Wireless Keypad (Extra pad) Only additional keypad for GC3 is Wireless Keypad Right Now
    Encore firefighter ff345 (Take over wired smoke alarms) Encore Firefighter Module Here
    2gig take 345 inside (Take over wired door/window sensors) Takeover options Kit or just Module I would recommend the Kit if your not using an existing panel as your power supply

If I understand correctly, the GC3 has built in WiFi so I do not need any type of bridge. Is the GC3GA-A the right cell modem for the GC3 panel? Any other parts I'm missing? I plan to add cameras, locks, etc. later.]
    Wi-fi will be available shortly its not active ion Initial Release Firmware Verision 3.0.0 read more here: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/429...IFI-Capability

One other question, I don't really understand "programming". If I put up the panels, wire up the takeover stuff, what programming is needed? I assume for the cellular, the monitoring service will provision that.
    Programming is menu driven and very easy, We will provide phone support whenever needed at 1-877-661-8941
    Michael Ferer
    www.buy2gig.com
    "The Source For 2GIG and Alarm.com Plans"
    1-877-661-8941

2GIG GC3 Currently only available with Verizon Service See it here IN STOCK!
    The GC3 AT&T model is available.

The 3G AT&T (3GA-A-GC3) alarm.com GC3 cellular module with built-in antenna runs $120 on ebay, and more dealers will have it shortly.

Thanks for your help.

Couple of more questions so I know what to order:
    1. Looking at the DSC 1555 manual I have 12VDC at the current panels. Would it be okay to use a DC-DC converter there to get 16VDC / 250mA? Or is it recommended to just use the transformer? (would prefer not to)
    2. I see in the manual, the unit has an internal siren, but I also have a loud hardwired siren in the attic. Is it possible to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by xxlbeerz View Post
    Thanks for your help.

Couple of more questions so I know what to order:
    1. Looking at the DSC 1555 manual I have 12VDC at the current panels. Would it be okay to use a DC-DC converter there to get 16VDC / 250mA? Or is it recommended to just use the transformer? (would prefer not to).
    2. I see in the manual, the unit has an internal siren, but I also have a loud hardwired siren in the attic. Is it possible to use it?
    For question 1, are you looking to do this for power to the takeover switch or the GC3? If the latter, I would use the transformer, as the DSC panel is likely wired to a wall outlet for regular power, but also battery backup if the power goes out. I am not sure how the GC3 woudl react to the battery backup from the panel? Maybe I am reading your question wrong though.
    For question 2, you shoudl be able to wire the siren to either the takeover switch or the GC3 (it has a couple hard wire inputs), whichever is easier.

Thread Information