Thread: New House with 2GIG Kit Pre-Installed

Question New House with 2GIG Kit Pre-Installed

Hello

We are buying a newly built house that already has a 2GIG panel installed by the builder, I think it's the 2GIG-CNTRL2 Control Panel (by just looking at it, but looks just like this) and it was probably part of a kit as I see 3 door sensors and 1 motion sensor installed in the house (but I don't find any fobs). The installer has a sticker in the lower left corner so I can't see if there is any other branding on it (as I've seen on some images via Google searching).

I am told that when we close on the house, we will be getting the final information on items such as who to call to "Activate" the security system.

What I want to know is:
    1. Is there a way, without pulling off the panel (I don't own the house yet) to tell exactly which model this is?
    2. Also, without taking the unit apart, is there a way for me to determine if it has the HSPA module installed? I can't tell by looking at pictures, should an antennae be easily visible if it's installed?
    3. When I call this dealer/installer, what do I say/ask so I can sound like I remotely know what I'm talking about and get the information I need to have complete control of this unit? i.e.
    • I need the "Installer code"? [I found some info here]
    • Is the "master code" the thing as the "installer code"? I'm guessing not.
    • How do I know if this is "locked out"? And any info if there is any way out of that?
    • Any other information?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DrGerm; 01-14-2016 at 11:06 AM.

Quick update. Let's just say I took a quick peak and found that the installer didn't change the default code so that's one question answered.

My guess is that the radio is in the panel but not activated yet. If not they will come out and install the radio after you call and sign up with them. You really can't tell much without taking it apart. I would call the company and see what they say. If it's unreasonable, buy a radio, swap it out and get a package from ww.buy2gig.com. It could save you some money.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGerm View Post
    Hello

We are buying a newly built house that already has a 2GIG panel installed by the builder, I think it's the 2GIG-CNTRL2 Control Panel (by just looking at it, but looks just like this) and it was probably part of a kit as I see 3 door sensors and 1 motion sensor installed in the house (but I don't find any fobs). The installer has a sticker in the lower left corner so I can't see if there is any other branding on it (as I've seen on some images via Google searching).

I am told that when we close on the house, we will be getting the final information on items such as who to call to "Activate" the security system.

What I want to know is:
    1. Is there a way, without pulling off the panel (I don't own the house yet) to tell exactly which model this is?
    2. Also, without taking the unit apart, is there a way for me to determine if it has the HSPA module installed? I can't tell by looking at pictures, should an antennae be easily visible if it's installed?
    3. When I call this dealer/installer, what do I say/ask so I can sound like I remotely know what I'm talking about and get the information I need to have complete control of this unit? i.e.
    • I need the "Installer code"? [I found some info here]
    • Is the "master code" the thing as the "installer code"? I'm guessing not.
    • How do I know if this is "locked out"? And any info if there is any way out of that?
    • Any other information?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FALCON View Post
    My guess is that the radio is in the panel but not activated yet. If not they will come out and install the radio after you call and sign up with them. You really can't tell much without taking it apart.
    OK, I see in this video now and here too. So, once I own the house I can easily take it apart and look. From watching the second video, am I to understand that you need to match the radio to the service you are going to use? And then, of course, choose AT&T vs. Verizon for the wireless provider.
    Last edited by DrGerm; 01-15-2016 at 11:28 AM.

Thread Information