Thread: New house with Vivint installed, need some help

New house with Vivint installed, need some help

Hello,

I bought a house wit Vivint installed. I read for about an hour here last night and still don't fully understand how it all works.
    I'm in Canada, I came across that module that works on Rogers, which is what I'm on.

But can someone explain to me, if I don't get that, or a service like Alarm.com, what are my limits? I mean, what can I do as is right now?

Aside from controling and getting notices on my phone, what does a service like Alarm.com provide? Or is that what the service is?

The previous home owner had two cameras. Is there anything I can do with these without a monitoring service?

Your options are limited. This applies to the GoControl panel. If you have the Sky panel, see the appropriate subforum on this site for more info.

GoControl panel:

Vivint uses old firmware (1.9.6 and lower). your panel is also locked out.

Newer firmware supports alarm.com, Telguard and Uplink. it also supports the go bridge for broadband (internet) remote interactive services/monitoring. Technically, if you had the bridge, you wouldnt even need the cell module (at least for Uplink).

You can restore the original Vivotek firmware to the alarm.com cameras and use them standalone, or use them with new alarm.com service if they were removed off the old alarm.com/Vivint account they were registered to.

Vivint uses alarm.com service.

You can update the firmware yourself for free, but you can only unlock the panel so as to enable the bridge, and Uplink/Telguard (installer menu access) with another alarm.com module.

Baring that, wiithout alarm.com/Telguard/Uplink service on the panel you have no remote access capabilities, or Central station monitoring. You can remove the Vivint cell module, and use the system as a noise maker, but you can never add/remove devices or sensors, or access any programming (if panel programming (Q)uestion 44 is locked out).
    Last edited by givemsm2; 09-03-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Okay, little over my head lol, but thanks.

So stand alone, I can use it as noise maker, still control thermostat. And can use the cameras? How would I be able to use cameras?

So if they wern't removed off old account, which I doubt htey were, I can't use these camera, period?

To monitor with alarm.com, what would I need to do? I'm a little lost there.

Also how does ALarm.com work. If i"m out and someone breaks in, what happens? Their website doesn't really say. Do they call police? Call me?

The cameras require alarm.com cloud video plan add on (but if they are still registered to another alarm.com account, you cannot use them)

You can use them standalone if you restore the original Vivotek OEM manufacturer's firmware, and use the software on your pc. Google vivotek.com for the firmware and software download. For example, the ADC-V520IR is the Vivotek IP8131W, the ADC-V520 is the IP8131, the ADC-V510 is the IP8130

To monitor with alarm.com, you simply replace the cell module in the panel. There are threads here that tell you step by step instructions on how to replace the cell module, and how to takeover a Vivint panel.

Alarm.com is the backend service for the alarm system (sorta like your TV, and the cable service provider that would provide the "backend" service to it). depending on the plan you get, that determines your level of service and features. If you add central station (monitoring), then signals are sent from your panel to the alarm.com servers then relayed to your central station provider who then calls you, or calls the police/fire/EMS.
    Last edited by givemsm2; 09-03-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Okay thanks a lot. Moving in a couple weeks I'll probably have some more questions lol.
    One last one. Do I have to buy any hardware/software to restore original firmware on cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by givemsm2 View Post
    The cameras require alarm.com cloud video plan add on (but if they are still registered to another alarm.com account, you cannot use them)

You can use them standalone if you restore the original Vivotek OEM manufacturer's firmware, and use the software on your pc. Google vivotek.com for the firmware and software download. For example, the ADC-V520IR is the Vivotek IP8131W, the ADC-V520 is the IP8131, the ADC-V510 is the IP8130

To monitor with alarm.com, you simply replace the cell module in the panel. There are threads here that tell you step by step instructions on how to replace the cell module, and how to takeover a Vivint panel.

Alarm.com is the backend service for the alarm system (sorta like your TV, and the cable service provider that would provide the "backend" service to it). depending on the plan you get, that determines your level of service and features. If you add central station (monitoring), then signals are sent from your panel to the alarm.com servers then relayed to your central station provider who then calls you, or calls the police/fire/EMS.

It depends. for example if you have the ADC-V520IR, see:
    http://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/vi...era-unlock-it/

Thread Information