Thread: Automation limits with 2Gig

Automation limits with 2Gig

First I am glad to have found this forum, so this is a first post.

I am not new to 2Gig since I have had mine in service since 2011, however I am now to the point of adding some automation to my currently non monitored system. In my previous home I installed an HAI OMNI Pro, with wired light switch control but I do not desire that level of automation in my current home.

I have played with some of the Z-Wave devices and have some concerns aobut their range, in spite of having multiple devices on line to provide repeater function. Clearly I do not expect HAI wired level of performance, but in particular the Leviton units seem weak. I must confess I have not updated the firmware since purchase, v1.6, and Z-Wave Linear 2.78. Has Z-Wave performance been enhanced on later revisions?

I am not adverse to going to a monitored system if I can use more advance programming than available from the console. In particular I would like to have conditionals and nested conditionals, such as turn on light if dark and if door is open, etc. I have downloaded the app but not clear to me what the limits are.

What generation are the Verizon modules? I have LTE service available but is module only capable of 3G? I am assuming the monitoring fee includes the wireless carrier fees or am I off base here? ATT is also available, any reason I would want one more than the other?

Lastly, if the 2Gig is not as capable as I would like, what is a good companion; Vera, Lumina, or? Are there other controllers that can use the wireless sensors that are already in place for the 2Gig.

Lots of random questions, thanks to all for making this forum available.
    Last edited by justsam; 08-23-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justsam View Post
    First I am glad to have found this forum, so this is a first post.

I am not new to 2Gig since I have had mine in service since 2011, however I am now to the point of adding some automation to my currently non monitored system. In my previous home I installed an HAI OMNI Pro, with wired light switch control but I do not desire that level of automation in my current home.

I have played with some of the Z-Wave devices and have some concerns aobut their range, in spite of having multiple devices on line to provide repeater function. Clearly I do not expect HAI wired level of performance, but in particular the Leviton units seem weak. I must confess I have not updated the firmware since purchase, v1.6, and Z-Wave Linear 2.78. Has Z-Wave performance been enhanced on later revisions?

It has been updated 3.42, from reports I have recieved response time has been improved and compatibility with newer devices
    See post: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/147...e-version-3-42

I am not adverse to going to a monitored system if I can use more advance programming than available from the console. In particular I would like to have conditionals and nested conditionals, such as turn on light if dark and if door is open, etc. I have downloaded the app but not clear to me what the limits are.
    You can create rules as you describe but are limited compared to an HAI system

Here are some examples:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zwave rules.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	275

What generation are the Verizon modules? I have LTE service available but is module only capable of 3G? I am assuming the monitoring fee includes the wireless carrier fees or am I off base here? ATT is also available, any reason I would want one more than the other?
    3G CDMA http://buy2gig.com/2GIG-HSPA/CDMA-Mo...1-Antenna.html

Lastly, if the 2Gig is not as capable as I would like, what is a good companion; Vera, Lumina, or? Are there other controllers that can use the wireless sensors that are already in place for the 2Gig.

I have been an HAI Dealer and installed a few large systems, to be honest for the price and ease of use 2GIG and Alarm.com is great,but it is not as open as HAI or others, some have married up to Vera as a secondary controller but I cant comment as I have not

Lots of random questions, thanks to all for making this forum available.
    All questions are great and serve a purpose, Thanks

Mike
    Last edited by locknalarm; 08-25-2015 at 11:38 PM.
    Michael Ferer
    "The Source For Do It Yourself 2Gig Alarm Parts & Alarm.com Plans"
    http://buy2gig.com
    1-877-661-8941

Thread Information