Thread: 2GIG Pre-Purchase Questions / 2GIG vs Qolsys

Question 2GIG Pre-Purchase Questions / 2GIG vs Qolsys

Apologies for the lengthy first post… I’ve been reading this forum (and one other where I will cross-post this) pretty much nonstop for the last couple of weeks, and have found it immensely helpful in planning out a DIY security system design. The people and resources I’ve found to be able to do something like this myself are pretty amazing in an industry that is traditionally very closed off and secretive to everyone but installers.

I’m getting ready to order a system for a newly remodeled home in the next couple of days. I didn’t have the foresight to install wiring for hardwired sensors, so I am pretty well limited to a wireless setup. I’ve changed my mind back and forth several times between 2GIG and Qolsys, and I think have finally settled on the 2GIG.

I like the aesthetics and some of the functionality of the Qolsys control panel better, as well as the fact that is brand new and far from EOL, but the fact that there are no “real” secondary key panels or touchscreens is a dealbreaker for me. (Yes, I am aware of the IQ2, but what amounts to an iPad sitting on a cheesy stand on a dresser or even worse velcroed to a wall, both with a power cord hanging out of the side, does not feel like a “finished” installation to me). How hard would it have been to create a dumbed down version of the IQ Touch to act as a secondary panel that actually felt like an installed panel? I digress...

Appreciate any input anyone has on their decision to go with 2GIG vs Qolsys, and also answers to the below few questions regarding the 2GIG system to make sure it will do what I want:

1) I’m sure I’m beating a dead horse here, but does anyone have any idea on timing of the GC3 panel? I’ve read Q4 2104, Q1 2015, etc. but obviously it has not happened yet. Is there any assurance that it will be available to the public and not just to the big contract provider?

2) Does anyone know if there will be a “TS2” or if the TS1 will be software updatable to be compatible with the GC3 panel when it is released?

3) On the current 2GIG models, is it possible to set a motion sensor as a perimeter sensor or some other type of sensor that will be active in “Stay” mode. Assume a two story home with a walkout basement, and the desire to have the motion sensors in the basement active during “Arm Stay” mode.

4) Are glassbreak sensors considered interior sensors, or perimiter sensors for the purposes of arming the system? Or can they be programmed to either?

5) Any disadvantage to the Honeywell glassbreaks that are smaller and better looking than the big 2GIG ones? Disadvasntages in general to glassbreaks? I have new high-quality casement windows that are very unlikely to be opened by force without breaking the glass, so I do not plan to sensor every single window. I do plan to have PIR's in strategic locations to backup the glassbreaks.

6) Is it possibly to arm and bypass zones from the TS1? The user manual indicates zones can only be bypassed from the control panel, not sure if this extends to the TS1 or not.

7) If you arm the system and auto bypass a zone (an open bedroom window for example), are you able to open and close that same window as much as you want until the alarm is disarmed and rearmed and the bypass state is reset, or will it reset and become active once it detects that the window has been closed?

8) Is it possible to manually bypass a zone and have it stay bypassed (even through arming and disarming cycles) until you manually un-bypass it?

9) Assume you are armed in away mode, and enter your home through an entry-delay door… If you pass through a regular motion sensor protected area during the entry delay but before disarming the system, will it trigger an alarm immediately? If so, is there a way to ignore anything but the first alarm trigger? (IE, walking in through main delay entry door, passing by a hallway motion sensor on the way to put down groceries without setting off the system, returning back to panel to disarm before delay expires)

10) Is the z-wave control capable of flashing/blinking a controlled light fixture on a specific trigger (alarm activation during night hours for example), or is it only capable of toggling them on and leaving them on for a set period of time?

11) What experience has anyone had with ionDigital Micra and Plunger style wireless door and window contacts? Reception, battery life, etc.? I’m limited in a few locations on the depth I can drill into a frame, and these seem a great solution. I’d like to standardize the same type of sensor everywhere, even in locations where I do have more depth, so I want to make sure they are as good as the OEM sensors.

12) Another Micra/Plunger question:… If installing on a sliding door where the latch has inch of play (door will wiggle open and shut ”)… will that be enough to trip the sensor? How far roughly is the throw on the plunger before it trips, or the distance the magnet on the micra would have to be pulled away before it trips?

13) Any experiences good or bad with the firefighter module? I have hardwired smoke and C02 detectors which I don’t want to replace, but would like to trigger the alarm when they go off.

Thanks so much!!
    Last edited by dantheman39; 07-13-2015 at 10:21 PM.

Hello and thanks for your post lots of great info out there, We are professional installers who have been supporting DIY customers for the last few years with the new equipment that has come out there is no need anymore for a profesional installation if you are a handy and tech savy.

I think the Qolsys is a good product but 2gig is better for many reasons for one it has a better embedded OS, where Qolsys rides on Android which concerns me. We had a failure a couple weeks ago where a panel locked up and had to be swapped maybe an isolated incident but not a good situation, I have had a few bad 2gig panels but all right out of box

Answers in RED Hopefully we helped answer your questions, please visit our website for very competitive pricing 24/7 tech support at 1-877-661-8941 and the lowest alarm.com plans on the web

1) I’m sure I’m beating a dead horse here, but does anyone have any idea on timing of the GC3 panel? I’ve read Q4 2104, Q1 2015, etc. but obviously it has not happened yet. Is there any assurance that it will be available to the public and not just to the big contract provider?
    Answer before end of year is the latest, but no guaranty

2) Does anyone know if there will be a “TS2” or if the TS1 will be software updatable to be compatible with the GC3 panel when it is released?

Answer there will be but no word on it yet, either the current ts1 will still work or a new "ts2" will come out

3) On the current 2GIG models, is it possible to set a motion sensor as a perimeter sensor or some other type of sensor that will be active in “Stay” mode. Assume a two story home with a walkout basement, and the desire to have the motion sensors in the basement active during “Arm Stay” mode.

Answer YES Very Easy to set different motions as interior zones or perimeter zones if needed

4) Are glassbreak sensors considered interior sensors, or perimiter sensors for the purposes of arming the system? Or can they be programmed to either?

Answer Usually set as perimter but can be set as needed to any zone type

5) Any disadvantage to the Honeywell glassbreaks that are smaller and better looking than the big 2GIG ones? Disadvasntages in general to glassbreaks? I have new high-quality casement windows that are very unlikely to be opened by force without breaking the glass, so I do not plan to sensor every single window. I do plan to have PIR's in strategic locations to backup the glassbreaks.

Answer All Honeywell 5800 Series Wireless Will Work your choice and preference

6) Is it possibly to arm and bypass zones from the TS1? The user manual indicates zones can only be bypassed from the control panel, not sure if this extends to the TS1 or not.

Answer You can arm but ill have to check about Bypassing from TS1 haven't tried

7) If you arm the system and auto bypass a zone (an open bedroom window for example), are you able to open and close that same window as much as you want until the alarm is disarmed and rearmed and the bypass state is reset, or will it reset and become active once it detects that the window has been closed?

Answer Pretty sure it Stays Bypassed, did you know there is now a DW-40 with a buillt in bypass button buy it here

8) Is it possible to manually bypass a zone and have it stay bypassed (even through arming and disarming cycles) until you manually un-bypass it?

Answer it is possible to bypass a sensor and keep it bypassed through a disarm. Q 75 (0)

9) Assume you are armed in away mode, and enter your home through an entry-delay door… If you pass through a regular motion sensor protected area during the entry delay but before disarming the system, will it trigger an alarm immediately? If so, is there a way to ignore anything but the first alarm trigger? (IE, walking in through main delay entry door, passing by a hallway motion sensor on the way to put down groceries without setting off the system, returning back to panel to disarm before delay expires)

Answer You will program any motions that are in view when going to panel as exit/entry follower so when an exity/entry zones is tripped first motion will follow the entry delay

10) Is the z-wave control capable of flashing/blinking a controlled light fixture on a specific trigger (alarm activation during night hours for example), or is it only capable of toggling them on and leaving them on for a set period of time?
    Answer Light (s) on when alarm is possible no blink currently but may be a feature added in future

11) What experience has anyone had with ionDigital Micra and Plunger style wireless door and window contacts? Reception, battery life, etc.? I’m limited in a few locations on the depth I can drill into a frame, and these seem a great solution. I’d like to standardize the same type of sensor everywhere, even in locations where I do have more depth, so I want to make sure they are as good as the OEM sensors.

Answer They work well, battery life is good 5+ years are small and easily hidden
    http://buy2gig.com/ION-Wireless-Plun...tch-2-GIG.html
    http://buy2gig.com/Ion-Security-Micr...ow-Sensor.html

12) Another Micra/Plunger question:… If installing on a sliding door where the latch has inch of play (door will wiggle open and shut ”)… will that be enough to trip the sensor? How far roughly is the throw on the plunger before it trips, or the distance the magnet on the micra would have to be pulled away before it trips?

Answer 1/4"is no problem you can always add a spacer if needed with the plunger style the micra has 3/4 inch gap minimum

13) Any experiences good or bad with the firefighter module? I have hardwired smoke and C02 detectors which I don’t want to replace, but would like to trigger the alarm when they go off.

Answer They work with the newer temporal sounding contractor smokes well, the Co2 are not out yet
    http://buy2gig.com/Encore-Products-F...er-Module.html
    read more here http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/182...fighter+module

Mike
    www.buy2gig.com
    1-877-661-8941
    Michael Ferer
    www.buy2gig.com
    "The Source For 2GIG and Alarm.com Plans"
    1-877-661-8941

Answer No it will be bypassed only till disarmed, you can program to auto bypass open zones
    This answer would be wrong.

it is possible to bypass a sensor and keep it bypassed through a disarm. I direct your attention to Q 75 (0)

Thanks for the Correction, Number 8 Above Changed
    Michael Ferer
    www.buy2gig.com
    "The Source For 2GIG and Alarm.com Plans"
    1-877-661-8941

Thread Information