Thread: Ripped off by installer -- what should I do?

Ripped off by installer -- what should I do?

Two years ago I built a house and part of the package was a 2gig unit, three switch controllers and one year of monitoring and control of the switches, my thermostat, etc. At the end of the first year I asked the installer/monitor how I could continue using my device without the monitoring plan and he refused to respond to me. In my reading i discovered that I needed to obtain the installer code but again he refused to answer me. I contacted the builder and they told me there was little they could do.

So I have a 2gig unit (not Vivint or whatever), a few controller switches for lamps, a z-wave compatible thermostat and there's nothing I can do with any of them -- they're just sitting there.

Can someone tell me whether I should just junk this unit and go buy a complete system or whether I should actually try to make it work? If the latter, I need to know where to start, what I can make it do, how and what's it's going to cost. I've looked into the Piper systems and I'm simply wondering if I'm throwing good money after bad with this 2gig unit.

One final factor -- I have zero desire to have monitoring -- I simply want in-house alarms for doors, motion, etc. and that the unit contact me with any problems and also give me control of lights and such. I've had monitoring multiple times and while they call the police for you the police take over half an hour to show up so it's not worth having monitoring.

Thanks for any and all help. I really feel screwed over and I'm not fond of that feeling!

2gig diy

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumpto View Post
    Two years ago I built a house and part of the package was a 2gig unit, three switch controllers and one year of monitoring and control of the switches, my thermostat, etc. At the end of the first year I asked the installer/monitor how I could continue using my device without the monitoring plan and he refused to respond to me. In my reading i discovered that I needed to obtain the installer code but again he refused to answer me. I contacted the builder and they told me there was little they could do.

So I have a 2gig unit (not Vivint or whatever), a few controller switches for lamps, a z-wave compatible thermostat and there's nothing I can do with any of them -- they're just sitting there.

Can someone tell me whether I should just junk this unit and go buy a complete system or whether I should actually try to make it work? If the latter, I need to know where to start, what I can make it do, how and what's it's going to cost. I've looked into the Piper systems and I'm simply wondering if I'm throwing good money after bad with this 2gig unit.

One final factor -- I have zero desire to have monitoring -- I simply want in-house alarms for doors, motion, etc. and that the unit contact me with any problems and also give me control of lights and such. I've had monitoring multiple times and while they call the police for you the police take over half an hour to show up so it's not worth having monitoring.

Thanks for any and all help. I really feel screwed over and I'm not fond of that feeling!
    If you buy/change the cell module you can gain control of your system. and if you want the unit to contact you/send out notifications you can sign up for a plan for as low as $13.99 and have self monitoring without Police Dispatch or Remote Automation Features

2GIG Panel Firmware must be for Verizon 1.9.5 and AT&T 1.9.6

Here is some more info:http://2gigforum.com/threads/1-%28Mi...ntrol-Firmware

http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/227...no-monitoring)
    Last edited by locknalarm; 05-30-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    Michael Ferer
    "The Source For Do It Yourself 2Gig Alarm Parts & Alarm.com Plans"
    http://buy2gig.com
    1-877-661-8941

Thanks for the quick reply!

So brand new the entire system is only worth a couple hundred bucks from what I can see and used would be much less -- is that about right? To get it working then I'd have to buy a $100 cell module and then pay around $170/year just to control things in my house.

With all the new offerings like Piper I feel like I'm throwing good money after bad. Can anyone tell me why I'm wrong about this as I'd rather not make a mistake here.

Did you try 1561 for installer code?

Quote Originally Posted by iwanttobelike**** View Post
    Did you try 1561 for installer code?
    No but I will when I return to the house. Is that some kind of universal installer code?

Yes 1561 is the Default Installer Code

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Yes 1561 is the Default Installer Code
    Okay tried it, no luck. So back to my original question -- do I toss this in the trash and start over?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumpto View Post
    Okay tried it, no luck. So back to my original question -- do I toss this in the trash and start over?
    If you don't want a monthly fee then your best bet is just buy a new Control Panel then you can reuse all your devices and relearn/reprogram

You can buy one here

See above for the cell module replacement and the Basic Interactive for what you originally stated you were looking for out of you system

Thread Information