Thread: Considering 2gig for DIY solution, one question!

Considering 2gig for DIY solution, one question!

How is the 2gig panel powered?

I have an old Brinks system in my house, and the house is pre-wired. I am planning on utilizing the existing wired sensors through a conversion device. The old keypad is powered through the control panel. Can I arrange the same with these 2gig panels?

If I can't power through the existing panel, I'm not sure I can make the 2gig option work, and I'll have to go the Honeywell route.

I had the same question ...I was told by my vendor that it was AC powered only (plug) because I wanted to wire it into my existing ADT panel . Maybe someone smarter than my vendor on these forums knows otherwise - For me right now I just plugged it in and I left the old ADT panels in place for when I sell the house down the road ...you could just put an outlet in where you want to mount the 2GIG panel....

You can't reuse the old panel or keypads. You cannot reuse any wired CO, or smoke detectors (e.g., Life Safety devices).

You can reuse any Honeywell compatible wireless smokes/sensors, and any wired sensors regardless of make via a TAKE module.

The power requirement for 2GIG is 14V 1700mA via wall plug transformer. You cannot wire directly to AC, or you will fry panel.

You can run your own wiring for panel (from panel to transformer) up to 100' or so using 18/2 or 18/4 unshielded. By default, the panel does not come with its own wiring for the power transformer. You supply the wire.

See: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/201...-control-panel
    Last edited by rive; 05-05-2015 at 01:02 PM.

That seems very disingenuous. Someone could simply unplug the unit to bypass.

Would it be possible to wire the power in to the existing pre-wired spot I have, and use the existing wire there, attach the transformer at the end, and plug in at the old panel location that way? IS that what you described essentially as having 100' to do?

You can definitely use the existing wire

Unplugging the Power Supply (transformer) would trigger a System Trouble and alert the notification list and Central Station, Depending on how you set up your system

Look at: Q38: Enter time to detect AC loss, in minutes (0-30) in programming

The panel has battery backup for at lest 24 hours as well, We strongley recommend installing the Power Supply in a discrete location like in the Basement or behind furniture

This is not the way it should be done:

Name:  transformer wrong.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  2.0 KB
    Michael Ferer
    www.buy2gig.com
    "The Source For 2GIG and Alarm.com Plans"
    1-877-661-8941

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post

This is not the way it should be done:

Name:  transformer wrong.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  2.0 KB
    This is the center of house install what can you do to that transformer? The panel is there, unplugging transformer power supply is useless.

Is purely aesthetics. You can rip that power transformer out of the wall, and panel still won't lose power. If you destroy the panel (which you could do regardless of transformer location), signal has still already been sent...

Crash and smash, perimeter, interior alarms are already going off, already on cam or IS by the time you get to that transformer...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	232
    Last edited by rive; 05-06-2015 at 03:36 PM.

Since my home is pre-wired, I'd just use that anyway. Connect existing power to the panel, and then in my basement where the old CP is, instead of plugging the 2gig panel into an old CP, I would attach it to the transformer directly, and plug there. Just seems much more practical.

In my case - I have to do this anyway. There isn't a plug close by. That's why I'm asking in the first place.

Thread Information