Thread: PIR Not working

PIR Not working

Hi,
    I just bought my first system and installed it yesterday. I am having an issue with the PIR. It doesn't seem to detect motion at all. I think i have configured it correctly. When I do the Walk Test it doesn't respond to motion (not sure if should in walk test?). It does respond when I remove it from the housing and trigger the tamper. Following the instructions and placing a magnet next to it didn't cause any LED's to flash. If fact I haven't seen any LED's light at all.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Graham

2GIG-PIR1?

Improper install/programming. See the thread for PIR1 install and programming and verify you have the correct loop (loop 1), and zone type as (04) interior follower, etch

See: http://www.2gigforum.com/forums/9-In...roubleshooting
    Last edited by rive; 04-26-2015 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks. I re-programmed it per the thread and did the Walk Test and the red led light up. BTW, the installation instructions that came with it says the code is 0533?

I tested it by arming it and walking around the room. It took maybe 2 minutes before the motion detector set off the alarm. Is this normal? Is there another setting to adjust the delay?

Thanks
    Graham

installation instructions that came with it says the code is 0533?
    Is it a Honeywell 5890 PIR? Or a 2GIG PIR with pet immunity?

2-3 min is normal. You do know how a Passive InfraRed motion detector works, right?

Here is how a PIR works...
    http://suretydiy.com/forums/topic/im...ity/#post-3567

Look at the 2-3 min as the time it takes for the infrared image to "develop", after which point it can be activated.
    Last edited by rive; 04-26-2015 at 02:09 PM.

It's a 2GIG PIR.
    I didn't realize that they took so long to generate the image.

Thanks for the info.
    Graham

Sound Like you have a 2GIG Image Sensor if it "Generates Images"

Is this what you have?

Name:  2GIG Image Sensor.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  7.6 KB
    Michael Ferer
    "The Source For Do It Yourself 2Gig Alarm Parts & Alarm.com Plans"
    http://buy2gig.com
    1-877-661-8941

Quote Originally Posted by locknalarm View Post
    Sound Like you have a 2GIG Image Sensor if it "Generates Images"...
    he has the PIR1, and he is talking about the time that it takes for the infared lense to initialize.

0533 or 0869 equip codes are used with regular PIR motions. An Image Sensor uses equip code 9999.

I was simplifying its operation.

For those interested in specifics regarding how Passive Infrared works...

An individual PIR sensor detects changes in the amount of infrared radiation impinging upon it, which varies depending on the temperature and surface characteristics of the objects in front of the sensor.When an object, such as a human, passes in front of the background, such as a wall, the temperature at that point in the sensor's field of view will rise from room temperature to body temperature, and then back again. The sensor converts the resulting change in the incoming infrared radiation into a change in the output voltage, and this triggers the detection. Moving objects of similar temperature to the background but different surface characteristics may also have a different infrared emission pattern, and thus sometimes trigger the detector.

Last edited by rive; 04-27-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Thread Information