Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada: The 2GIG and what you can without a data plan on your smartphone or PC

Question Canada: The 2GIG and what you can without a data plan on your smartphone or PC

Right now I am looking to purchase a 2GIG security system from a security company, but I am unclear on one thing (and the seller isn't able to explain it clearly) - my wife doesn't have a data plan on her smart phone (and has no intention of getting one) - so can she still communicate with the 2GIG system?

Similarly, I have a data plan but I don't want to waste my bandwidth while I am connected WiFi to the internet ...

And can anything be done using a Windows PC?

Does the 2GIG support any of this?
    Thanks,

The panel is remotely accessed/controlled via two methods using the alarm.com interface (requires 3G cellular module or IP bridge for broadband connectivity)

1. https://www.alarm.com/login.aspx website (PC)

2. Alarm.com mobile app (android, IOS, Windows phone, etc)

You need internet access (cellular data or WiFi)

Alternatively, you can also call into the panel via a regular phone call/cell call IF you have the POTS module (telephone jack connection)

All can be used simultaneously is my understanding

Alarm.com is in the US - I am in Canada and I will be dealing with a security company (whom I pay monthly).
    Does this still apply for me?

Alarm.com service is provided In Canada, and you can even DIY it, and get no contract monitoring for like $28 or so a month.

Alarm.com Canadian modules are here: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/4-3...llular-modules

and LocknAlarm provides Canadian alarm.com service with no contract DIY monitoring and Central Station. See:
    http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/181...dian-residents

Unless you are doing telephone (POTS) monitoring, your options for 2GIG cellular remote services/monitoring (in US and Canada), is either Telular/Telguard or alarm.com.

Alarm.com service (ADC) is way better than anything currently available or even offered by Telular/Telguard.

For comparison, see: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/123...?p=277#post277

This is $90 panel/equip promo offered by Locknalarm/buy2gig, and as I said, they also offer alarm.com plans and central station monitoring services for Canadian residents:

Buy2gig has a DIY package deal for $90 (but requires a 3yr monitoring contract). Includes panel, 3G Cell Module, (3) DW10 door/window sensors, a PIR1 motion, and a KEY1 keyfob remote. See:2GIG GCKIT311
    Reposted from: Where to buy, and best deals/prices for new 2GIG panels, sensors, and gear

You mentioned that I can get monitoring for $28/month with no contract - where did that come from?
    I am looking at http://buy2gig.com/Interactive-Plans.html#residential and I am seeing the basic plan at $14.50 + $3.00 (Canadian)... this is freaking cheap ... the company I am dealing with is charging me $31/month on a yearly contract....

Buy2gig/locknalarm...

$25/month, no contract with Central Station ($14.50 alarm.com BI, $3 Canadian service, $8 CSAA Five Diamond certified Central Station

Alarm.com Basic Interactive (BI) $14.50
    Includes all wireless signal forwarding features and enables the user to remotely arm/disarm system, see system status and event history, and change user codes through the Alarm.com website or mobile apps. Users can also receive email and text notifications when system events occur, such as arming/disarming, alarms, power failures and other trouble conditions.
    Additionally, it includes Weather to Panel (Current weather and up to 6 day weather forecast can be provided by Alarm.com to be displayed on compatible security control panels and keypads), and Voice Notifications for Alarms (Automated phone notifications for alarm events), Geo-Services, and Crash and Smash Protection
    UL Listed, IQ Certified, CSAA Five Diamond Certified Central Station (Alarm Tech Central Services)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_20150117_233629.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	70

Alarm.com info updated on $25 DIY service with central station for Canadian users

What do you mean by "undated"?
    Also, is this $25 USD or $25 CDN per month?

Thread Information