Thread: DSC st-300d motion detector

DSC st-300d motion detector

Hello. I have an existing Vivint system with a 2gig go control. It was left behind by the previous owner of the house. Anyway, it is not locked but i do need to buy a new cell module to avail of alarm.com monitoring. My issue is that the motion detector that is a DSC ST-300D shows as open. It is wired and runs through the #7 of the 2gig superswitch. Whenever i would try to re-configure and restart, the system status bar would not show the detector open. But after a few minutes (about 10 to 30 minutes) it would show open again and i could still arm my system. I have tried re-configuring following Rive's suggestion and configuration and install and uninstall it but it still prevails. The system was working perfectly when the previous owner was still with vivint which was about a little over 6 months ago. Please help. Thanks in advance.

My issue is that the motion detector that is a DSC ST-300D shows as open
    Do you only have the one wired detector (motion) on the takeover switch?

Does the motion always show as open, or does it activate when it detects motion? I am not quite sure what you are asking. Do you want to remove it from programming, or figure out why it is malfunctioning?

If its not working properly, best bet is to replace it with a 2GIG-PIR1 (runs approx $30)

I really want to use it since it's already there. It stays open and it won't trigger. It's also the only motion detector others are glassbreak detectors, CO detector, fire detector, door and window sensors. Iwant to figure out why it's malfunctioning. Hope this helps.

It's on a takeover module, its not a normal 2GIG sensor, but you should still be able to activate it in test mode.

A motion detector only alarms in away arming. In a normal disarm, or armed stay mode the motion will activate (it just won't alarm). Since this is a takeover, it should show as "open" in a non armed away state.

For example:

For testing see: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/13-...s-(2GIG-IMAGE1)

So the message on the status bar saying "system ready" motion detector (open) is normal then? But whenever i arm the system on away and i wait in one room, after like 10 to 20 minutes..the alarm would go off and it says motion detector triggered. Could it be defective?

May be a programming issue, or a wiring issue. Show me your programming for the 2GIG-TAKE/motion.

Otherwise yeah, if it keeps alarming everytime you arm in Away, I would replace it with a 2GIG motion or better yet an Image Sensor.

Whenever you restart via programming or power cycle your 2Gig Go!Control panel, it reverts all sensor status to their expected rest state (closed) until a change in state is registered or a sensor supervision signal is received.

Since your motion detector sounds like it is never truly registering as closed, I would strongly suggest it is a wiring issue.

You mention that one end of the detecting circuit is plugged into the #7 terminal of your Takeover Module. Where is the other end connected? It must be connected to the same ground as the Takeover Module, which means it can connect to either any of the ground terminals on the old alarm panel (assuming it was used to power the Takeover Module) or the ground on the Takeover Module itself.

You mention a prior owner, have you done any work in the areas where the motion detector's cabling may run? It is entirely possible that the cable is sheared off or cut somewhere.

If you have a multimeter, the first thing I would check is the DC voltage at the motion detector to verify it is even powered. Either way, you can check resistance on the detecting circuit by twisting the two wires together at one end (detector or Takeover Module) then removing and testing resistance across the two wires at the other end. If it is infinite or very high, you likely have a cut cable.

- www.suretydiy.com
    Last edited by Jason; 11-18-2014 at 10:19 AM.

The motion sensor led lights up whenever it detects movement. I only checked the wire on the takeover module. I haven't really traced the whole thing. But power wise..it has power.

The question is this:

Does the motion stay open all the time?, or does it go back to its normal state of being closed (takeover circuit for it is NC, an activation causes it to open, hence alarm) if it detects no motion ?

If it opens for no reason, or opens and closes intermittently and it is not facing a window, or anything else that would cause the thermal image "snapshot" to change, and no motion event is triggering it, then there is either a wiring problem (or motion may be defective). Make sure it is properly installed.

If you assert wiring is fine, and the motion is normally closed, and properly installed then that suggests it is either misprogrammed, or defective.
    Post a screenshot of the programming screen for the take module and the motion.

So...troubleshoot:

1. Wiring issue and circuit is not closed (NC)
    2. Installation/programming issue
    3. Motion detector is defective

IF you are unable to troubleshoot this, or resolve it, the solution is to remove the motion from programming, and obtain/program a 2GIG-PIR1, or 2GIG-IMAGE1 as a replacement Passive InfaRed motion detector

See: Installing/programming wireless motion/IS

2GIG-PIR1

2GIG-IMAGE1 (PIR motion/Infared night vision camera)
    * XCVR2, and at least firmware 1.10 required

Thread Information