Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firmware update successful.... but not really

Quote Originally Posted by jjandre View Post
    OK, 2 things.

First, I replaced the XCCVR2 with a new one, so unless I have 2 bad radios, the problem is something different. The fact that it started after flashing the panels leads me to believe the problem is in the software, but it sure behaves like a hardware failure. How likely is it that the new radio I ordered is bad as well?

Second, when I follow the procedure to unlearn a panel, which is simply to change it to "unused" and save/reboot, it appears to wipe everything about the entry except the name I had given it. Is that normal?

I have unlearned all panels in 04 at this point. After doing that and saving/rebooting, I still can't get it to pair with either my old panel or the new one.

I tried re-flashing both the CP and the TS1, still nothing.

I'm truly stumped at this point. In my normal debugging process for this kind of thing, the next step I'd take (assuming I have no way to test the radio module, which I don't) would be to reset the entire CP to factory and try to pair a panel. I'm hoping someone has a better idea of what to do next.

Once again, all help is appreciated.
    Same panel you got in 2013 off amazon (firmware 1.9.5), and replaced the XCVR with the XCVR2 for the TS1, that up to this firmware update, worked fine?

Doubtful that both the XCVR2's are bad.

You can try flashing firmware 1.9.6 to main panel and TS1's. Be very careful

Baring that, you may have somehow inadvertently damaged the panel during the original firmware flashing. (e.g., connected J4 USB cable to wrong pins in panel, or had the J4 backwards. Both of which could have damaged panel).

There could have been a surge, etc.

Its all conjuncture and guesswork at this point.

Try to reset panel, and TS1's to factory, then try learning them again. Make sure TS1 is near panel when you initate learn modes on both devices.

Try re flashing firmware...

Or replace panel

Thanks for the reply. It is the same panel. Everything was fine until I did the firmware update. Firmware updates on the CP and TS-1 went fine. Obviously errors can happen, but I've worked with computer components for 30 years, and am pretty sure there were no problems with the cable or other physical problems. There were no errors when the updates ran, and the panels rebooted and reported the proper new info - they just won't communicate now. After replacing the XCVR2, still no good.

Today I reset the CP to factory defaults, and still nothing.

I looked at the firmware update for the CP from 1.9.6, and it looks like it runs in 2 parts, so I'm a bit concerned about being able to revert back. I'm concerned about the panel ending up in some intermediate state in between update segments.

That said, I'm also not thrilled about the idea of spending the money on a new CP if it's just s software issue.

Banned
    As someone who routinely does firmware updates, I've never seen any thing like this happen before. I've seen firmware updates fail and brick the panel, but I've never seen firmware updates work correctly, and then all communication ceases between the panel and the TS1's. It almost seems like the panel thinks the TS1 is running an outdated firmware and refuses to communicate with it. It might be worth posting this issue on our technical support forums to see if our technicians can weigh in on the issue?

I'm with you on the "never seen this happen" front. My experience with firmware updates is they either work fine (the majority) or you end up with a brick. Having 3 fully functional pieces of hardware that I can't get to talk to each other is baffling.

I tried rolling them back to 1.9.6 this weekend. The CP will allow me to do that, and starts up fine. The TS-1's won't take a roll back. They look like it works, but when I boot them up they are still at 1.10. So I couldn't see if they would connect at the older firmware version, although I know one of my units worked with the CP at that firmware version.

I suppose at this point I'm ordering a new CP to see if it will connect to my 2 TS-1's. I'm afraid I'm less than thrilled with 2gig hardware at this point, though.

I will cross-post a synopsis to the technical support forums just in case.

Thanks

Did you find a solution to your issue? I just updated my GC2 panel and Ts1 panel to 1.14 FW. tried to pair the TS1 and nothing. I had another TS1 fresh out of th box flashed it to 1.14 and I cant pair it either. The link above to remove TS1 from GC2 panel doesn't work. Can someone post a link with instructions please?

Quote Originally Posted by AROMC View Post
    Did you find a solution to your issue? I just updated my GC2 panel and Ts1 panel to 1.14 FW. tried to pair the TS1 and nothing. I had another TS1 fresh out of th box flashed it to 1.14 and I cant pair it either. The link above to remove TS1 from GC2 panel doesn't work. Can someone post a link with instructions please?
    See the following guides:

Name:  disable keypad.PNG
Views: 222
Size:  47.0 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keypad to control panel.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	347

Also, firmware 1.14 is a little buggy, they did come out with firmware version 1.14.1 which can be found here

Updated older GC2 panel to 1.14 and had the same issue. My GC2 was like first gen with the POTs line connection. Did everything I could think of. Broke down bought a new GC2. Flashed it to 1.14 because it came with 1.13. Paired Ts1 in 5 seconds. Only thing that sucked was having to go around and delete all the devices from old panel and learn/pair them to new panel. I didn't go with GC3, because I don't like new technology in the beginning, plus the new GC3 is twice the cost. I rarely use my GC2 anyway. iPhone or ipad.

Thread Information