Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contract up and want to switch providers ?

Contract up and want to switch providers ?

So my contract is up and I am looking to save a few bucks. Seems everything is getting more expensive so saving 10.00 here and there adds up. I have a 2gig panel running firmware 1.6 with installer access. Current company acted like they lease the cell module and cant release it. I deal with them once I find an alternative for monitoring. The problem is i was going to switch to suretydiy but they can not service Florida. Does anyone know of any options in Florida for 24/7 monitoring at their price range? $27.99 i believe. I would even go to $30.00.

on a side note, great site with a ton of good info.

Thanks

You need to update your firmware (current firmware is 1.10.1), and replace that 2G cellular module with a 3G module. The entire 2G spectrum is being reprovisioned.

See:
    http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/2-2...toring-options

Thanks, saw that after i posted this thread. Trying to figure out how to get my current provider to swap out the card before i cancel them.

Quote Originally Posted by woods View Post
    Thanks, saw that after i posted this thread. Trying to figure out how to get my current provider to swap out the card before i cancel them.
    You will need at least firmware version 1.9.6 to even be able to use the newer 3G cellular modules.

Secondly, it is very unlikely your current provider will release/unregister your module, especially if it was "free" equipment provided under a contract.

On the other hand, if you buy the cellular module retail, you can usually ask for it to be released/unregistered. Not all dealers/providers will do it though.

For more info see: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/4-2...llular-modules

So I pulled my original contract. I do in fact own the system with the exception of the cell module. It clearly states that the alarm company retains ownership of it and I only lease that. So I will have to get a new one. Can I update to a newer firmware using the cable with a new card installed? I know the cell module wont work until my firmware is updated. And I know once I cancel they will put their module. So can I order the module, cable and update firmware? Or do i have to have the old module in for me to update? Last question is will i loose my current configuration once the module is pulled and I put a new one in?
    Last edited by woods; 06-26-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Before you cancel, remove the cell module from panel.

You do not need an internet connection on panel to update firmware. You don't order the update firmware (its a free download to computer, then connect PC to panel via cable).

You will not lose any configuration settings by replacing the cellular module

Out of curiosity, what is the name of the company?

Its a local company that has been in town forever. Dehart alarm, They have their own call center. I have nothing bad to say about them as they have treated me good and been prompt with any service issues. Not real happy about the cell card but it is what it is. Right now its about cutting costs. I pay them 42.00 a month and can get the same thing for $24.00.

Do I need installer toolbox access to do the update? The panel is not locked as I own it but they change the installer toolbox pw. I am working on getting it from them though they might not give it out. I know once I put the new cell module in I can get the company I sign up with to reset the pw.

Thanks

You do not need installer access to update firmware.

If panel isn't locked out, then you can reset the installer code via a console reset (power down, power back up while holding both emergency and home buttons, this only resets the Q's, which you can optimize here: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/5-2...panel-settings)

If your panel is locked/no installer access, then you need to be here to see step by step for unlocking panel. Also, you need to optimize and fully enable panel once you update firmware and unlock it.

See: http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/3-H...tch-monitoring

Thanks, Ill probably order the verizon 3g module and cable this week. I believe I am paid through the end of July so ill make the change before then. They assured me the panel is not on lockout since I own it. I was told that by several different people at the company.

By changing the installer code, and not providing it to you they have effectively locked you out of making any Q changes to panel, enrolling/programming/installing sensors or gear.

Thread Information