Thread: Can I use a 2GIG system with new cellular module without being registered?

Can I use a 2GIG system with new cellular module without being registered?

Hey folks,

I have an older version of the 2GIG panel from Vivint. All I want it to have the panel hooked up to the 2 door sensors I have and use it for the just sound of the alarm when I am at home. I don't want it tied to my cell phone or any feature like that, just to link it to the sensors and activate the alarm. I have read all the forums about getting a new cellular module so I can get into system configurations, but all say I have to register with Alarm.com through one of their companies to get it hooked up. Is there any way to just control it on my own without any fancy features?

The problem with Vivint (and some other 2GIG dealers) is they purposely lockout the panels to prevent people from doing what it is you want to do, and to prevent takeovers by other companies. The panel can be unlocked though.

An option is to reset all the Console Q's. This will unlock the panel Q44 (installer code is 2203). This will only work though if Q45 is not also locked out. Chances are good if installer access is locked out (Q44), so is panel reset (Q45).

To reset, unplug battery, unplug AC power, power down. Then reconnect battery, and while holding both emergency and home button in at same time, reconnect AC. It should then boot up to a reset screen for zones and console (Q's).

If your system configuration is locked out (Q44/Q45), the only way to unlock it is via alarm.com back end. To enable this back end panel access, your panel must be connected to the service via ADC cellular (through a dealer/company via plan).

Once unlocked, you can install/program and go local, thus terminating any further ADC service.

To unlock the panel via the alarm.com backend (cloud) service, you will need a cellular module and at least a month 2 month remote interactive plan ($14). Once the panel is unlocked you can cancel the month 2 month plan, and have the cellular module unregistered. On eBay a NEW/UNUSED 2GIG ADC 2G GSM1-GSM7 cellular module runs approx $30.

Another option, is simply to obtain a 2GIG panel that is not Vivint branded, and not locked (2GIG non-branded OEM panel defaults are with Q44/Q45 disabled and unlocked). Then you won't need a cellular module or alarm.com plan. You will then be able to add your own sensors/devices, zwave home automation gear as you see fit and upgrade system as you go without monitoring, or service.

Perfect, thanks so much for clearing everything up for me! I appreciate your time.

Hello again,

I can't seem to find a module that is for ADC...all of them are APX-TMO or ATT. Do I need a ADC one for Alarm.com or do they use others as well? I am in Canada, so don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks,

Alana

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    Hello again,

I can't seem to find a module that is for ADC...all of them are APX-TMO or ATT. Do I need a ADC one for Alarm.com or do they use others as well? I am in Canada, so don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks,

Alana
    Does your device currently have a module if so u can check the serial number for the ability to reg via adc on surety i am mobile so i dont have link handy what is the model of the panel u have if you dont have a cell module we may be able to point u in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by deuce View Post
    Hello again,

Thanks,

Alana
    There are currently two types of modules for 2GIG: Telguard (2GIG-GC3GA-T ), and ADC (uplink coming in near future)

Get the ADC Rogers 2G GSM4 module or the 3G HSPA GC3GR-A module.

Rogers GC3GR-A 3G HSPA (requires firmware v1.9.6 or higher)

I only know of one site that sells Rogers modules. I will link you to the page for the modules. There are a few Dealers that I know of that offer ADC service/monitoring for Canadian users. Once you get the module, you should call them, and verify service options for Rogers 3G /Canadian modules.

ADC Rogers module:
    http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/4-2...llular-modules

List of dealers/providers:
    http://www.2gigforum.com/threads/2-2...toring-options

Thread Information